Monday, June 4, 2007

little hiccup...

Well, I've hit my first pot-hole on the road of pregnancy. Some of you know that I've been extremely sick for going on 7 days now. When I say sick, I don't mean a head cold, but rather "confined to bed, can't lift my head, vomiting, two rounds of antibiotics, breaking down in tears" sick. What began on Tuesday as strep throat, became a sinus infection which then migrated into my chest and now is full-blown bronchitis. The good news is that I was able to see my OB's nurse practitioner this afternoon and all is well with the baby.
I've been so sick and confined that I have been itching to get out, so we ventured to see the movie "Knocked Up" yesterday afternoon. Armed with my saline nasal spray, bottled water, Sudafed and about 20 kleenex, I was able to sit for 2 hours to see this cute flick. It's the story of two twenty-somethings that conceive after a one-night-stand, but decide to the keep the baby. The story follows their relationship through the trials of pregnancy, and getting used to the idea of becoming parents. It's been getting great reviews along with ours... two thumbs way up!

As far as updates go- today marks my entry into the THIRD TRIMESTER! Where has the time gone? That September 3rd due date that once seemed so far away is rapidly approaching. We've signed up for our birthing classes which should help us feel more prepared because at this point, Kevin and I have no idea what to expect for the big day!

The baby seems to be doing great in spite of my recent illness and is moving around more and more. Our newest hobby includes watching my belly jump and move as the baby gets a head start on his karate lessons. The most interesting thing so far with his movement began this week... he's getting the hiccups!!! Halfway through the week I started feeling rhythmic little jumps. At first, I had no idea what this was, but did some reading and quickly figured it out. It has happened about 4 or 5 times, and usually lasts around a minute. The poor little guy- I know how much I hate having the hiccups, so I can only imagine what it's like for him. Everything I've read says it's completely normal as the baby has begun breathing amniotic fluid and will actually become more frequent now. He weighs in at around 2 lbs and about 14 inches from crown to heal. Really? Only 2 lbs, huh? I was expecting to read that he was about 15 lbs by this week! :)

No comments: