Saturday, November 14, 2009

10 weeks later...



Our sweet Cecilia Marie is 10 weeks old! And I'm really happy to report that even in our post-baby euphoria, life is beginning to take on a *somewhat* familiar routine again. I think it's really common and expected that adding another person to your family comes with an adjustment period before settling into a new "normal." While CeCe has been a pretty easy baby so far, newborns are still just so unpredictable. If they are upset, there's only so much you can do for them- nurse, diaper, burp, swaddle, rock, paci, walk, pat, sing... that's all I've got. As she starts to grow into a stage where she's content to kick in the bouncer for a few minutes and take longer naps, I've been able to see glimpses of normalcy for our family. And I like it.

Our days lately consist of wake up, breakfast, then generally we shoot for a structured activity. Usually I can count on Cecilia taking a nap sometime during the morning that lasts longer than her other day time naps which is nice because it allows me to ease into the day while my coffee kicks in. On an average morning, Preston gets some TV time while I clean up after breakfast then we might take a trip to the library, a play date with friends, a walk to the park, running an errand, etc... Then home for lunch and nap for Preston. My goal is to get CeCe to sleep while he's eating, so that she'll sleep while he goes down and I can get dinner started, get online, pick up or clean the house a little, do some art museum stuff, laundry, or whatever else is on my to do list for the day. Her other daytime naps are shorter- I might only get 30-40 minutes here and there. After Preston's nap which is usually about 2 hrs, he has a snack and more playtime. Afternoons from post nap until Kevin gets home for dinner can be rough, but we try to combat it by staying busy. I almost always have CeCe in the sling or beco for awhile, have Preston cook or bake something with me, read books, play in the basement, again some TV time, and lately we've been taking advantage of this gorgeous Indian Summer weather we've been having by playing outside. Once Kevin gets home, we eat together, play or read some more, then bath, book, bunny/blankie and bed. CeCe will hopefully begin to take a predictable afternoon nap soon and the other thing I'm longing for is to be able to bathe both kids at one time in one tub. Right now, we have CeCe in her little folding tub while Preston is in the regular tub and it usually ends with water all over both of us and the bathroom floor. Kevin puts Preston down while I nurse CeCe and from there, well, we just cross our fingers because you never know how it will go with either one these days. Oy. That saying, "when you have kids, the days are long, but the years are short"
could not be more true!! Here are some pics of our gorgeous growing girl at 10 weeks:





Last weekend, my Aunt Laura, Aunt Diana and I threw a surprise 60th birthday party for my mom in Angola. Wouldn't you know, I was without my camera, but my Aunt Laura (or, "Loda" as Preston calls her) got some great ones so I am waiting on copies from her. ...Hint hint, Aunt Loda. ;) While at Gram's house the next day, Preston got to take a bath in her kitchen sink and raked leaves with his cousin Cameron. Perfect piles for jumping!




By the way, I wanted to share the recipe for the hot chocolate Preston helped me make a few nights ago. I have to say I'll never buy the envelope kind again. This was so easy and so good! As you can see from his face, he loved it. And he was completely tickled by the marshmellows, which I don't think he's ever seen before. Here is the recipe- it made enough for a small cup for each of us. If you try it, be sure to let me know what you think!
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
4 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. water
2 c. milk
A bit of vanilla

YUM!

No comments: