Friday, August 31, 2007
Two weeks old!
Today marks Preston's 2-week birthday! I can't believe that just 14 days ago, he came into our lives and it already seems like he's always been here. It's hard to imagine life without him now. He's such an amazing newborn- eating, sleeping and pooping like a champ!
So far,Preston's done lots of big-boy things...
1. He's gotten a slight eye infection that has seemed to clear up with the treatment of an antibiotic ointment from his family doctor. (Who kindly reassured us that it was common in newborns to have a clogged tear duct or develop a goopy eye.) Of course, I freaked out like any new mom convinced that she's unfit to parent such a delicate little creature if he's already caught some debilitating disease, but he seemed completely unaware of the grave danger I felt he was in.
2. He lost his umbilical cord this week. Of course, now he thinks he's way too cool for anything- you know, being without his cord and all. At the beginning of the week, we received the news that his bilirubin numbers went down to the normal range, so he's also off his bili blanket. Talk about feeling grown-up! No blanket, no cord. What's next ...College??
3. He's gained serious newborn WEIGHT! Preston has been to the doctor twice- once for his post-birth routine check, which was 6 days after he was born. At that time, were were thrilled because we were just hoping he'd be near his birthweight of 5 lbs 13 oz, and instead, he tipped the scales at 6 lbs 2 oz! That's 5 ounces in 6 days. And then, he returned the following Monday for the eye goop and was weighed again. This time- at 10 days post birth..... 6 lbs 12 oz! Yes, he gained 10 oz in just the 4 short days from his first appt!! He returns for his second post-birth routine check next week and I can't wait to see how much he's packed on by then. Good job, little piggy!
4. He's pooped and peed everywhere. Christening the house and his parents has been one of the top things on his to-do list. It seems every time we change a dirty diaper, he gets the urge to go again- sometimes more immediately than others and he just goes right on the table. He's personal best being going #1 and actually using his own face as a target. ...That he hit.
5. He's done the whole meet-and-greet thing. So far, Preston has been introduced to lots of family and friends- although mommy and daddy wanted to keep things quiet for a while at home so that he could get used to his new environment, we've nonetheless felt incredibly blessed to have so many of our wonderful friends and family reach out to us and want to meet him, so it's been a revolving door of visitors and meals and cards and gifts everyday. He's handled himself as a true entertainer- greeting his guests with maybe - oh, say- all of 10 seconds of his eyes open. Although he's been sleepy, thank you so much to everyone who has shown so much interest in seeing this little man- we know how much you'll all mean throughout his life!
6. He likes to hit the town... Nana Connie and Papa Sherm came last week on Friday night and we ate at Munchies- one of mommy and daddy's favorites, but Preston wasn't too impressed- he slept through his whole meal. We've been taking walks in the stroller a couple of times a day, and sure enough- he's out like a light before we hit the end of the block. Today, Kevin and I took him on a short run to pick up a few items at the store and again- asleep the entire time. Sort of a "seen it all before" attitude for a baby, don't you think?
Now- don't get me wrong... he doesn't sleep ALL the time- pretty much just during the day. In Preston's world, night time is where it's at! A tad frustrating, but we are still happy to sit up with him and love him any hour of the day (or night.) We're actually trying to get him exposed to natural sunlight as much as possible during the day now so that his biorhythms recognize the difference between light and dark- rest and wakefulness. (Of course, as I sit here and type this at 9:22 pm, he is asleep on my chest in the sling.)
All in all, it's been an amazing couple of weeks getting to know this little pumpkin and settling into our new life as a family of three. Kevin returned to work this week and I think P and I did pretty well together, even though we summoned for help from his grandmothers, aunts, and friends a few times. Our love for him grows more every minute of every day and we just continue to feel so blessed. We truly could not ask for more.
Posted by Erin at Friday, August 31, 2007