Friday, August 28, 2009

Bed Rest Blues

Bed rest sucks!

My blood pressure related to my swelling was elevated on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, (at one point, it was 142/83) so at my appointment, Dr. Schwartz thought it would be best put me on a somewhat-relaxed bed rest so that we could keep it under control. Several people have asked, "why can't you just have her now?" And the truth is, I totally can. Yes, I am miserable and yes, if she came right now, we'd welcome her with open arms, but it really is best to keep her in there a while longer. Most importantly, I'm not on bed rest to keep labor from starting, but to control the BP and swelling- totally different. If labor started now, they definitely wouldn't stop it. In fact, my water broke with Preston just one day from where I am now and he did great. However, if BP spikes, we would need to induce and that's definitely not what we want. Statistically, induced labors are typically longer, harder, and more frequently end in cesarean section deliveries. None of these are high on my wish-list! Ideally, I want to make it to 38 weeks, which is this coming Wednesday, but would be fine if she waits longer. Also at my appointment, the doctor did an internal check- I'm still "maybe a fingertip" dilated, 50% effaced and -2 station engagement, so please keep your fingers and toes crossed that we make it through the weekend and labor will begin on it's own. I've had several contractions this morning, so we'll see.

In the meantime, my mom, stepmom and mother in law have been helping with Preston and keeping him occupied while I am in bed. Wonderful friends like Kristin and Holli have brought snacks and kept me company, and Dr. Schwartz did agree to allow me to get a pedicure yesterday, which was wonderful. I'm bored to tears, but have keeping up with the news, my email and facebook, and thank God for online shopping. The biggest catch of being on bed rest at the end of a pregnancy is that it's truly a biological need to "nest" and get ready for the baby, which I am not able to do. I desperately want to be vacuuming, dusting, folding clothes, organizing her room, etc... Thankfully, the cleaning ladies are coming on Monday, and I'll be more prepared at least in the way of having a clean house. But I'm constantly making mental preparation notes and to-do lists, especially when I'm awake at night since sleep is just a fleeting thought these days.

So, that's our update for now- stay tuned!

No comments: