Sunday, November 18, 2007

What a week!

Wow! I haven't posted here in over a week. Time just seems to get away from me these days. Where has the fall gone, by the way? I can't believe we are getting ready to celebrate Preston's first string of Holidays!

I'm currently experiencing my first big bout of maternal guilt. I totally over-scheduled us this week. Constantly making sure we get out of the house is a big priority to me, but sometimes in my quest to do so, I begin to wonder if I'm doing too much for Preston's little newborn self. Finding activities and joining groups has actually been easy, it's been allowing Preston to adapt that has been the difficult part. Although, probably more difficult on me than on him. Sometimes I tell myself that it's good that he can sleep on the go right now and to take advantage of it. However, we "feed-on-demand" so that often means attempting to nurse in public, or sometimes in the car, a dressing room, or a quick stop home in between errands only to run out the door again. I know that we want him to be adaptable and able to feel comfortable with an occasional change in routine, but there are definitely times that I worry we are doing too much. I guess that worry just comes with my new job-description as a mom. If we weren't out and about so much, I'd probably worry then that we were being hermits.

However, we do have fun when we stay busy and Preston seems un-phased at this age- usually oblivious to the fact he could be snoozing at home. This week for example, we had so much going on, but he did exceptionally well and other than some occasional fussiness, I don't think it threw him off too much.
Here he is telling me about how busy we were this week:


"I think therefore I am"



Monday- Grammy Dawn came to Fort Wayne and we spent a fun day of lunch and shopping. He got some new goodies from Gymboree and we had a great meal at Casa. Overall, we were gone about 5 hours and he did great and never fussed. He napped in the car and at the mall. I always say the mall is an easy place to take him because I can feed or change him easily in dressing rooms.

Tuesday- We started our Mommy and Me Yoga class at the Kachmann Center. It was so funny to see all of us moms try to relax as their babies fussed and squirmed, but so worth it to enjoy their company and get some fun bonding time with my little man. It begins at 10 - right when Preston has been putting himself down for a nap lately, so he actually slept through the first half of the class! We worked on some poses that help with digestion, which as many of you know, he really needs! After class, we popped into the art museum so that the staff could meet him. They are such wonderful people and sent a generous gift when Preston was born, so it was nice to finally take him in and show him off a little! Then, we met Karen and baby Eduardo for a bite to eat, so we felt like total social butterflies.
At mommy and me class:


Wednesday- Preston and I actually went to look at a house in our area that is for sale. We are constantly keeping an eye out for something larger and affordable. Afterwards, we headed to a Le Leche League meeting, then out to run errands with Aunt Holli, who is finally (knock on wood) starting to feel better as she enters the second trimester of her pregnancy!

Thursday- It was Nana's birthday, so we drove to meet Daddy at work, and lent the Passat to a marketing project LaBov was doing with Volkswagen, then headed up to Angola with Ruby to hit the outlets, a purse party and dinner with Great Grams, Aunt Rosanne and Uncle Bob, Papa Sherm and Nana. It was a cold and yucky day to be at the lake, but again, Preston slept in the car for most of the ride and did pretty well being out of town for the day.

Friday was a fun day! P sat in the bumbo for the first time which was a big deal. He liked it at first, but after awhile, decided he was much too small to be expected to sit in a seat all by himself and that naturally, he should be held at all times, so our bumbo adventure was cut short. But at least mommy got a picture first!



As I mentioned before, Friday morning we had plans to get together with the talented Betsy King, her husband, John, and their *adorable* and sweet son, Miles at a local coffee shop and they were kind enough to take some absolutely phenomenal pictures of Preston. I am so thrilled to have some shots of him at three months old. I've said before that I try to catch good snap shots on our little digital camera, but these are so beautiful and really capture his expression. They even got one mid-yawn! Here is a sneak peak of a few of my favorites, but check back for a more extensive collection soon!!


AREN'T THEY AMAZING????


Lastly, Kevin's brother Mark got married this weekend so there was much excitement and many festivities to attend. Preston came along with us to the rehearsal dinner, but thankfully skipped the wedding and reception. After the rehearsal on Friday night, we got home late and Kevin was walking him around facing outwards, like he often does, when I looked up and noticed Preston had crashed in Daddy's arms (understandably after a day of bumbo-sitting, modeling, and rehearsal dinnering.) ...check this out:


CONGRATULATIONS, MARK AND NICOL!!!! What a great ending to a busy but fun week for us.

4 comments:

Betsy King said...

wow!! you are a rock star mom! I'm such a loser hermit!

How do i get invited to a purse party? ; )

Emily said...

Wow Erin! You did have a busy week. Im the same way with the mommy-guilt. I HAVE to get out every day but just pray she'll sleep at least a little while we're out! P-Man is looking good. Madelyn has that same white romper with the green stars. I love boy clothes. ;)

Jessica said...

Wow...my head is spinning! It is great that you get out so often. It sounds like he handles it like a champ. Hope you have a nice first Thanksgiving with Preston. Will you be going to the Mom group next week? I think it will be our last time going. Hope to see you there!

Anonymous said...

He looks like Yoda in the Bumbo photo. Plus, that outfit looks like it has bellbottoms. Which would be pretty cool, actually.

And those photos from Betsy are amazing. I've already got the head shot as my new desktop picture on my work computer.