Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year!



Christmas is upon us and we are in full swing of holiday hoopla. The next week is proving to be just as busy and I feel like I've been in the kitchen a lot. (I'll share some good recipes in upcoming posts!)

I'm pleased to report that as of this past Thursday, I am officially done with our shopping. Waiting on a doll set to arrive from Land of Nod for Santa to bring CeCe, but once it's here, I'll be in gift wrap heaven! I've actually gotten a ton of shopping, baking and gift prep done in the evenings after the kids have gone to bed. They're both down consistently around 8 and CeCe is sleeping a good chunk of about 4 (sometimes more, but I don't want to jinx it!) hours without waking. Tonight, I even got some girl time with Kristin and Holli. We went to see The September Issue, which was so interesting and fun- I highly recommend it if you have a nearby theatre that features indie films. It was wonderful to get out on an average Thursday night with my favorite girls!

Speaking of favorite girls, the Southwood Park moms just left after a fun, yet purely chaotic playdate. Violet, Caroline, Finn, Preston and CeCe...what a crew. We made a keepsake ornament of the kids' handprints and they turned out really well. The kids had a good time playing and the mommies had a good time sipping coffee, noshing on homemade goodies and chatting. I feel so incredibly lucky to be blessed with such great girlfriends. We all have a lot going on, and it was good to get together one last time before life gets too chaotic at the end of the year.
Here's how we made the ornaments:
The night before, I combined
4 cups flour
1.5 cups water
1 cup salt

Worked in some green food coloring and kneaded for 20 minutes. (That is probably the hardest part- kneading dough is an arm workout of which I was previously unaware.) You roll out the dough, press their little hands in, make a hole for the ribbon and then bake for 20 minutes at 325.


Voila!





One other thing I have to suggest for Fort Wayners before I go is the AWS Fantasy of Lights! There are over 50 elaborate light displays set up at Franke Park and you drive through. Preston absolutely loved it and I got CeCe out of her carseat to ride on my lap. $5 a car- can't beat it- I highly recommend it if you have kids! I of course, didn't have my camera, or I'd post pics. So, until next time, these shots from the last week will have to do...

One of the three designs I ordered of our Christmas cards: (indecisive much?)


My happy boy:


CeCe in her bumbo:




No comments: